Sunday 4 May 2008

That Solar Panel, what a ripper!


It sure took a bit of doing, but now that its been 2 days running, putting charge back into my house battery, I am very pleased with the result. The main power consumer is the Fridge and running it now for 48 hours I am beginning to get a much better idea of its "OFF/ON" relationship - even though I have set the temperature to fairly "cold" the fridge switches on less than 30% based on a day-to-day cycle.

At 45W and assuming even 50% ON-time = 12 hrs, this calculates to 540W/hrs every 24-hour period. My Panel produces 120W, exposed to the Sun for only 5 hours per 24-hour period will produce 600W/hrs. Since Sun-up this morning it took about 3.5 hours to bring my battery back to "Fully Charged" status while the fridge was still switched on and running.

Result: I am now mostly independent of 240V power supply for my day-to-day power needs!! Also, its non-polluting, noiseless generation of power.


Autumn is here, some places looking decidedly like parts of Canada...

After all the rain we had over the last 4 weeks, the Sun has returned and we are having bright and colourful days again with lots of sunshine and cool nights. I will be off and travelling north in about 4 weeks...

No comments: