Monday 11 October 2010

Trying to escape a very wet South East Coast

Sapphire, a town where people are still searching for (and finding) Sapphires in a whole range of colours, yellows and pinks as well as the traditional deep blues.  Eck and Suki have set out to do a bit of fossicking around, so now I am happy to report that they have found a number of stones that look absolutely fabulous cut and polished.  Congratulations!!

I must admit that this kind of activity is not really my personal preference, so I am happy to leave that to those that do enjoy it.  From Sapphire its back to Emerald for some shopping and then a drive on to Duaringa, on the road to the east coast, where I spend the night at the town’s lovely rest area.  In the morning I continue to Rockhampton and on to Yeppoon to put up camp at a nice park right on the beach.  Great to feel a cool breeze coming off the ocean while I spend time chatting with my neighbors.

Back on the road through Rockhampton where I remember their perfectly timed traffic lights all the way through town.  After waiting at a traffic light to change to GREEN I get to the next light to turn RED right in front of me, every time.  Great for traffic flow, if start / stop is what you are after, but then, why would you hurry ?  Queenslanders are so lay-back.

A great camp spot on the Caliope River

There have been extensive rainfalls in the area, so the landscape is green, a sight I have not seen a lot of during my travels across Australia.  My next stop is right by the Caliope River, about 15km west of Gladstone, a great spot, where I intend to spend at least 2 nights.  The weather report advises rain all along the east coast to my south, with some heavy falls north of Brisbane in excess of 200mm in just a few hours.  I best wait that one out!

 I am also enjoying my stay at Caliope River

No comments: