Saturday 6 June 2009

That camp spot by the river

Well, the town of Mount Isa was mostly a place to relax. Its an industrial town with copper mining and smelter, its wealth derived from those resources.

View over Mt. Isa

I had my mail directed from Sydney, which I picked up when I left to drive on to Camooweal.

On the way out of town I take a detour to see Lake Moondarra, the water catchment for the town as well as the supply for the industry.
Its a very nice place ochre coloured hills surround this artificial lake, giving beautiful colour contrasts beween the water and the rocky surfaces.

At Lake Moondarra


The Hills surrounding the Lake

When I get to Camooweal, a short distance from the border to the Northern Territory, I re-fuel, then drive out of town to check a camp spot that has been recommended by fellow travelers at Mount Isa. Its a short way down a dirt road and then ends up right along a river, abundant with bird wild life, the water covered with mostly white Lotuses. There are wild ducks, many Whistling Kites (Hawks) constantly circling over the water, large grey coloured Brolgas goos-stepping along the shore, Pelicans and many other kinds of birds that I cannot identify.



Sunrise at the river, a great start to each new day

The place is really peaceful, bird sound all around me, blue sky and its warm with a cool breeze, just splendid to be sitting out in the shade and enjoy.

I have spent 3 days here, enjoying all of it. Tomorrow, it will be further traveling to Barkley Station, about half way to Tennant Creek.

No comments: