Friday 12 February 2010

Maintenance and Stuff

When I leave Lime Bay I drive back across Tasman Peninsula, then north-west to Sorell for some shopping and to look for some Gas parts.  For quite some time I have noticed the smell of Propane Gas each time I turn on the gas for cooking, so, after removing my cooktop I discover  a small leak on the joint of the copper pipe connector to the cooktop, very small indeed looking at the bubbles formed by my application of soapy water but certainly worth fixing it as I do not want to blow my Motorhome, myself included to smithereens.

The camper shop at Sorell points me toward a caravan retailer at North Hobart.  When I get there it turns out that I do indeed need someone who is a qualified Gas Plumber, they give me a contact number.  The Plumber is an old bloke like me, knows what he is doing and 15 minutes later all is well, I am on my way across Hobart, then south through Kingston then on to the small town of Snug (cute name) and spend the night there to catch the Car Ferry down the road to Bruny Island next morning.
More info on Bruny Islands

 I spent about a week discovering several lovely spots on South Bruny Island before returning to Tasmania's main island.  It is a beautiful place, clear waters on all beaches, all of them in shades of turquoise, hardly any people anywhere, except for a few of us "Grey Nomads" that seem to populate the place.
 
Duck mother with 7 kids behind Adventure Bay


Many of the places bear French names, as it were French explorers that came here already in the 1770s.


  
Adventure Bay on South Bruny
 
Shells on the beach at Adventure Bay

Yesterday I came back on the car ferry, drove to Kingston for some shopping, also to re-fill my water tank which was close to empty by now.  From Kingston I drove south again, this time through the truly beautiful Huon valley,
 
Boats at anchor on the Huon River


then on to Cockle Creek a great place to stay, almost on the southernmost point of Tasmania.  All roads end there.
 
Rocky Bay seen from Cockle Creek


The weather has turned wet by this morning so I decide to leave Cockle Creek again, drive north to Huonville at the end of the ocean inlet, from there south again on the other side of the shore, through the lovely town of Cygnet, on past Verona Sands, where I am spending the night.

No comments: