Monday 16 August 2010

Back to warmer climate again at Normanton and Karumba

After all that broken glass, our next stop was Barkly Homestead, our last stop for now, as I am driving west to Camooweal, just inside the Queensland border.  I am looking forward to having my windows replaced at the mining town of Mount Isa, but put in a stop by the river at Camooweal.  It turns out another rather cool night requiring that extra blanket to keep me warm during the night.

The following morning I am on the road again heading for Mount Isa.  Naturally, my first stop is at a company that can replace my windscreen, unfortunately they are unable to replace my rear window (1650 x 800mm) which is quite large.  After calling the company in Sydney, that manufactures my Motorhome, I am advised that this glass panel would have to be brought in from New Zealand!!  That certainly is not a workable option.

I am advised though that another company nearby could replace it with a plastic alternative, all work to be done in the morning.
 More about Mount Isa...

I leave Mount Isa around 12.00 noon after I pickup my vehicle and re-fuel at a more 'civilised' price ot $1.29 per litre of Diesel.  I am always amazed at the often huge differences in price here; yes, I am driving in some pretty out-of-the-way places, but still can't see that on a main highway the price of fuel can be $1.99 per litre, particularly when you note that the road trains carrying the fuel go right by their front door every day anyway...

I briefly stop at Cloncurry, the old Gold Mining Town to top up my fuel tank before continuing to Normanton.  I must say that every person I met at Mount Isa was friendly and courteous, lots of smiles from everyone.  Cloncurry seemed to have the exact opposite: grumpy and unfriendly the lot, obviously not a great encouragement to wanting to stay.
More on Cloncurry...

I have planned to stop somewhere by the roadside but its difficult to find an area that is not right along the highway, so I keep going on to Normanton and from there, after 2 nights rest to Karumba on the Gulf of Carpentaria.  Its nice and warm again, which I really love.
more about Normanton...

No comments: