Tuesday 17 February 2009

Still a bit vague and I am not really taking in that much of the landscape around me. At Pemberton I naturally visit the tall fire observation trees where steel poles have been driven into a tree trunk to form steps and hand holds so one can climb to the top, about 60 metres off the ground. To come down you need to walk down backward which will be particularly strenuous if you are not top fit. Needless to say I left that adventure to someone younger.

One of the "Fire-outlook-Trees" to climb

I left Pemberton to continue on to Walpole, about 104km away. When I pull in at Walpole Visitor Centre to collect some local maps, the first sign I see in the car park out the front that reads: "Overnight camping not permitted, penalty $1000", all of that in red. I thought to myself, thank you for making me feel welcome already. I stay a little out of town on a campsite by the ocean. Its hot but ok in the shade.

Treetop Walk near Walpole

The following morning I drive on another 7km to see and walk the tree top walk and then drive on to Albany, collect some mail and check in at one of the 2 campgrounds in town. My mail from Sydney has not arrived yet so I must hang around till Monday. Its heavily overcast, quite dark and strong wind gusts really feel uncomfortable and cold.

Albany Farmer's Market on Saturdays


Time to put on long pants. Good decision because the following day, Saturday is exactly the same, if not more so. I meet two german girls who travel together and we spend the evening talking in my van, drinking beer. It turns out a lovely evening, late when we hit our respective beds.

View of one of Albany's Bays on a sunny Sunday

Sunday morning and a surprise, bits of blue sky that turns into a lovely and sunny day, finally giving me an opportunity to explore some of those beautiful views around Albany. I am not disappointed.

No comments: