Sunday 5 April 2009

Streaky Bay to Port Lincoln then north-east toward Port Augusta

Driving south along the western shore of the Eyres Peninsula started out with the usual scrub either side of the highway.


I turn right to visit "Murphy's Haystacks", a rock formation of some pretty bizarr shapes which I photograph from various angles.

Murphy's Haystacks

Continuing south on the highway, the scenery changes from scrub to open, slightly hilly countryside, all of it covered in rocks of various sizes that litter the ground even though I can't understand how anything can grow on ground like that. As all the fields are fenced it will have to be farming country. I pull out at Elliston to take some pictures of the coastline before I follow the highway south east to Port Lincoln where I am spending the night at the local caravan park.

Yes, there is washing to do and that is only possible at the "official" caravan parks. I fry up some Roesti from some boiled potatoes I have in my fridge, eat it with some Pate and some chilli gherkins, wow, pretty good.

Tonight is changeover from daylight-saving to standard time, which means all clocks need to be turned back by one hour. I get up at 7am, make coffe with my breakfast, then put away yesterday's washing and clean my solar panel as well as the roof of my van. Quite surprising how dirty it all got, lots of bird shit from where I had my vehicle parked under trees at Perth.

The weather has turned wet overnight with low clouds and a drizzle of rain. I decide to explore Port Lincoln with the hope that the rain will stop and some sunshine again to help warm up the place again. (I must be spoilt from all the good weather I had on my trip so far)

Colourful sunrise at Port Lincoln before the drizzle sets in


Its Sunday, so everything is closed in South Australia except the Newsagent. After driving around Port Lincoln I check out lots of new developments around town that were recommended at the Info Centre but in the rain it all looks rather sad. No people to be seen anywhere...

I decide to 'escape' the rain and to drive on toward Whyalla on the eastern side of the peninsula. The countryside is wide open, the ocean to my right, it looks like wheatgrowing country, the crops long since harvested, now running lots of sheep there instead.

Escaping the rain...

Looks like I am in luck, the weather is turning sunnier as I go north. I decide to pull into an off-road campsite by the ocean about 23 km south of the town of Cowell.

View from my campsite, blue skies and all...

It is very windy on the waterfront so I decide to hide behind a caravan already parked there. I am now sheltered and its quite warm outside my van - good thing I have put out my awning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Daddy. Schoen, dass du wieder unterwegs bist! Dein neues Mobil sieht auch schon Klasse aus. Es wird sicherlich noch dauern, bis du wieder in Sydney ankommst.

Also, weiterhin gute Reise, ich springe jetzt mal auf mein neues Rad und drehe eine Runde...
Liebe Grüße auch von Bine,

Pilli jun.