Friday 23 October 2009

Going south toward Townsville

My next stop-over is Mission Beach [check it out] a wonderful and spacious Beach with views across the waters to Dunk Island, yet another Holiday Resort amid the blue waters of The Great Barrier Reef. [more]

My campground is located right by the beach. I book for 3 nights enjoying a most relaxing stay. From Mission Beach I drive south, first stop at Ingham for some groceries and a haircut then a bit further south to another campsite at Balgal Beach, a nice free camping spot, again right on the water. I spend a great day walking the beach and later spend "Happy Hour" in the company of fellow travelers, enjoying the cool breeze by the ocean. It turns out that the sandflies are ferocious despite the liberal application of supposed repellents. ( I guess, no-one told the sand flies it was a repellent.) I ended up with dozens of bites all over, itchy as old Hell too.

I leave to drive to Townsville, [more] only about 40km further to the South where I am staying for 2 nights, also visit Magnetic Island, just off the coast.
[more about Magnetic Island]



The 'Locals' are pretty friendly too and enjoy eating the offered apple from my hand

After my visit to Magnetic Island which included a short bus tour to Roma Beach the Ferry takes me back to Townsville. I leave the following morning to head south to Airlie Beach, yet another poular Tourist destination [more on Airlie Beach] where I have spent a month twenty years ago sailing the Whitsunday Passage with my friends Brian and Sherry.

The town itself has seen major development, a far cry from the sleepy village of yesteryear, even Mac Donalds have an outlet on the main street...

No comments: