Sunday 24 August 2008

Back to Tom Price and Hamersly Gorge

The early bird catches the worm. True or not, I don't know but left Dales camp ground before sunrise, about 6.00 am this morning with the aim to be at Tom Price before 8.00. With the light of the starting new day behind me, the horizon ahead lights up in a spectrum of colour displays, in the middle of it all the moon.

Its cold this morning and I have my heater on full blast to help blow the chill out of the air inside. It’s a nice and easy drive, a fair amount of traffic in the opposite direction.

This is the western sky being lit by the rising sun in the east, nearlk full Moon too.

The sun is up now, straight into my rearview mirror so I have to adjust it. I arrive at Tom Price Visitor Centre about 20 to 8.00 in the hope to catch a seat on a tour bus doing the gorges. Unfortunately, no bus today and I need to write off this opportunity this morning. As its still early, I need to wait till the centre opens and while I do that I get on-line, collect my email, update the blog.

When the centre opens I enquire about the Heli Tour in the brochure. The lady tells me, the company has ceased operating for the moment and so I can't take this opportunity either. Last choice, drive out to Hamersley Gorge myself, do my own tour. First I need to book myself in for another night's stay at the trailer park, find my allocated spot, chat with the neighbor and finally make some coffee and have something to eat.

I leave shortly after to drive out to Hamersley Gorge, about 70km out of town, 45km of which are dirt road.

A well maintained dirt road to Hamersley Gorge

It’s a beautiful bright day, the dirt road is in excellent condition, me travelling my usual 85-90kmh, followed by a giant cloud of dust at my stern. The last 5km in, turn out to be pretty corrugated, so I can drive only very slowly until I get to the car park at the gorge. Its beautiful down the gorge, much smaller than Dales but equally stunning.




Above are several views from Hamersley Gorge

When I return to Tom Price a few hours later, my van is covered in a veneer of Pilbara Pink, or fine dust, that seems to find its way into everything. Re-fuel and back to the campsite for a hot shower and shampoo, do a load of washing that shows various shades of orange. Call it a day.

No comments: