Tuesday 19 August 2008

Karijini, Dales Gorge

It is cold and windy this morning, on goes the t-shirt and long-sleeved polo shirt, a warm vest and a jacket. Not cold any more. I make a pot of coffee, have breakfast and say good bye to Phil and Tracey who are leaving this morning to go back to Paraburdoo, where they both live and work for a mining company. I am going down Dales Gorge this morn.ing and take water, my camera and the map I got from the visitor centre.

Its only a short walk from my campsite to the entrance to Fortescue Falls and I am already stunned by the magnificent view from the top of the gorge as I make my way down to the bottom.


Half way down

I take some pictures, all the way down and at the foot of the Falls, then make my way along a bush track to Fern Pool.

Fern Pool

There is no-one down here except me, so nice and quiet, the sun coming in behind me, very little wind down here and I am thinking what a great place this is for meditating. On my way back to the Falls I meet the first lot of visitors that want to visit Fern Pool for a swim, as they are carrying towels and swimmers. Good luck to them, definitely too cold for me.

Back at the Falls I meet about a dozen 'oldies' who came down here to have a look and take pictures. From here I make my way further down the gorge, climbing over many rocks and crossing the creek on some larger rocks that have been laid across the water so my feet don't get wet.



Look at those rock formations


What about these?


I am following the gorge all the way to the end at Circular Pool.

The views along the gorge a fabulous and I am beginning to feel, that this walk alone has justified my driving over.




Circular Pool at the opposite end of the gorge.

From Circular Pool I retrace my steps about 300m where a path branches off and upward the gorge to the rim. I follow this route as I want to return to my initial entry point, now walking along the rim of the gorge where I get a birds eye view as well.





A tree clinging to life, making the best from the available space by the side of my path climbing to the rim of the gorge.

I have taken about a hundred photos on this walk and the exercise has taken about 3 hours. When I get back to my van, the wind has almost dropped completely and I get rid of all my warm clothing and then make my way back 10km to the visitor Centre to check on my planned day-trip through some more gorges. Unfortunately, bad news, The tour bus still broken down, no idea when the ordered part will finally arrive at Tom Price, the owner, most apologetic. What now? The brochure shows a Helicopter excursion from the Visitor Centre, but the phone number given cannot be connected. The Centre is not able to help. Sounds as if Karijini has turned on me. Again I ask myself, What now? There is another tour of the gorges but that one starts only at Tom Price and if I am serious about wanting to visit more gorges, I am going to have to be at Tom Price tomorrow morning before 8.00am. So be it. I'll leave here about 6.00am tomorrow and try to get onto the bus at Tom Price instead. Yes, I am also forfeiting 1 nights stay, already paid for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Daddy,
du siehst gut aus auf dem foto!! kann es sein, dass du richtig gut trainiert bist jetzt?! Wenn ich lese, wie du die gorges erklimmst und alles erforschst, dann weiss ich auch, wie anstrengend das ist. dann hast du dir das bier am abend aber mehr als redlich verdient!!
im übrigen könntest du dir ja überlegen, deinen blog als Australien-Buch zu verlegen. dadurch, dass du das alles so schön bebilderst und mit Fakten belegt, wäre das sicherlich eine schöne Sache... - ich sprech dich nochmal drauf an! liebe grüsse,

pilli jun.

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter
Enjoying looking at your trip. Do haven't mentioned any cane toads on your travels - do they actually exist? Its oold, wet and horrible here in Sydney at the moment. We have a really wonderful holiday in Italy and Ireland. Now back three weeks. Everyone is keeping well there. Will leave more comments now that we have visited your blog. Keep it up! Will tune in again later.
Love
Barbara & James