Monday 4 August 2008

Tranquil Miaree Pools

Well, Miaree Pools looked just like many other stop-overs that a traveler may stop at, to take a break. I am still here after seven days, perhaps I just needed a bit of a rest, also to remind me, there is no rush, I don't need to be at any other point on the map at any perticular time. Good to get away also from so much blowing red dust in most of the other places I have been to recently.

One of the many wild flowers near where I am camped.

I am parked at a high point with a lovely view across the water, so relaxing to look at, no matter what time of the day. There have to be plenty of fish in the water as there are lots of Cormorants sitting about during the day on a formation of rocks, drying their wings after another fishig expedition. My neighbors call the birds "Shags", which lends yet another meaning to the term "shag-on-a-rock". The Ranger was here a few days ago and told us that a big Burramundi has been sighted in the water as well. I know many have tried to get that one onto their hooks, no luck I am afraid to say. This fishing sport does require a great deal of patience and (Ithink) an enormous amount of plain old "Good Luck"!

The hills surrounding my site are covered with hummocks of Spinifex, all of them looking like soft pillows, particularly in the early morning light when the rising sun lights them just so, creating light and soft shadows.


Hills covered in spinifex, reminding me of Aboriginal dot paintings

When I do walk between them on my walks around here, I always make sure to wear Jeans, as Spinifext has so many spikes and thorns on it that are just looking to get under your skin. So much for something that looks so benign yet hiding a real sting.

I am wanting to move on to Exmouth soon. For the first time in many weeks I am experiencing overcast skies, quite a nice change, to be sure, but Exmouth is right on the Ocean, the weather on the radio saying there is rain in that area also, so staying here seems to be a far better option right now. Maybe tomorrow…

I have no phone connection in here and Internet is not working either, so my update onto the travel blog is going to have to wait till I get to a place where I get signal again.

No comments: