Saturday 16 August 2008

On the way to Tom Price

Yesterday's trip took me as far as Barradine Camp where I stayed for one night on the way into Exmouth last week. I left this morning about 8.30, my navigator telling me 360km and I decide I can do this in one day. Mind you, its headwind all the way, Diesel being guzzled at a premium rate.


I re-fuel at Nunatarra Roadhouse ($2.20/L), no choice, I follow the main highway for about 4km to the turn-off to Tom Price.

Mount Murray by the side of the road

Flat country here initially but about 25kms into the turn-off the landscape changes to a huge variety of hills, rocky outcrops and bizarre looking mountains, some just gently rounded and covered to the top with green cushions of spinifex, looking very much like Aboriginal dot-paintings. Others are sharply outlined against a blue sky, in a variety of colours.

The white clouds we are having today, together with that really beautiful and interesting view of the land, reminds me a lot of drives across New Mexico, many years ago. Each time I cross one of these rocky paths in my road, a new vista opens up yet again. Definitely not a boring drive today, coming down this road in the morning light. Finally, I am given a choice to drive straight ahead on a dirt road, or to turn right to stay on the sealed road and drive via Paraburdoo, another mining town. As I don't know the condition of the dirt road, I take the longer road via Paraburdoo.

Coming into Paraburdoo
This road does add a few kilometres, but I am not running the risk losing half a muffler or worse on the corrugations.

I arrive at Tom Price just after 1.00pm, go into Coles Store to buy some Sour Cream for a salad I want to make today, then drive out of town to fill up my tank yet again. Turns out, I used 55 litres for just over 350km. Battling a headwind does dearly cost, particularly, when you consider that today I wanted to get there in a hurry...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pete,
excellent reading again, you are looking burnt in the face (says Suki). It is so good, that you take time to see all the sights, what an experience!Even though, sometimes the excursions are not as available (when the bus breaks down). We are with you all the way.
Keep going, even at $ 2.2/litre, it will get better, fuel has dropped here by 17% this week.Good luck, enjoy your parcel, hopefully all is still OK. Cheers,
Eck and families