Monday 11 August 2008

Osprey Bay Camp at Cape Range


Cape Range Peninsula with Ningaloo Reef

The Ranger said that "Osprey Camp site" had available spots. Osprey is right down the peninsula, the last campsite on the reef. Driving down the road this morning it is evident just how dry this part of the country is this time of year. Again it is hard to imagine that part of this landscape will be flooded during the "wet" season and at the same time have temperatures in the 50s (C). I get partial views of the ocean and the reef on my right as I drive down the peninsula. Osprey is about 25km from the Ranger's Station which is check-in point. The water colour is a bright turqoise and shades thereof - just beautiful.

Finally, the turn towards the ocean on my right and I drive down the dirt track that leads to Osprey. When I arrive, I am already expected, as the Ranger had communicated with the "hosts" that look after the site over the radio. I get site #12, a little way back from the front-row places but with very good view of the reef, the bright coloured clear waters inside the reef. What a magical place to be! I book in for an initial 3 days stay.

Cape Range, as this peninsula is called, has only one sealed road in coming from Exmouth which means that this is the only road in and out. There is a dirt track leading out on the southern end but I am told its strictly 4-wheel drive territory, following a dry creek bed of gravel. I am not tempted to go down this road.

Yardie Creek Gorge

On my first day I take a drive down towards Yardie Creek Gorge and walk in through and around the gorge which is the only one down here with water in it, as well as having a connection with the ocean across a sandbar at high-tide. Its not difficult to walk around the perimeter, simply good shoes are a definite must, a bottle of water also a good idea.

Some of the deadwood lying about the trail around the gorge.

On my second day here I drive back the way I drove in, visit the tourist centre which has some beautiful exhibits about the Cape, the animals found here and also the reef, its dangerous currents. It is a truly beautiful place, quiet, a balm for sore eyes. A big Emu keeps wandering around my campsite, totally oblivious to my presence. A grey Wallaby with a Joey in her pouch also came visiting, camly walking around the caravan on the next site.

All the sites here are clean, everything tidy and in good order. Organic toilets that are NOT surrounded by that often awful smell downwind, quite a surprise at the prevailing high temperatures. Simple sun shades have been put up along most beaches, providing a bit of protection from the very bright lights along all the beaches.

My "front-door Beach" at Osprey Bay

I have extended my stay for another 2 days, checking out again on Monday, 11th August, when I will post this blog on-line again, as there is no connection to anything down here.

No comments: