Sunday 21 September 2008

Geraldton to Mullewa 20/09/08

My last morning at Geraldton and it looks like its going to be another beautiful sunny day. Its 7.00 am and, like every other morning I have been here, I vacate my "illegal" parking position at a great hide-away place someone told me about. I would like to be out of there each morning as I do not want to draw attention to my spending every night there. I drive down to the harbour foreshore where I prepare breakfast, enjoy the view while I have my coffee.

Looking down shopping area at Geraldton

I check my email and get my stuff ready to continue my trip, but first, re-fuel at the Wollies Service Station as I still have a discount voucher that will expire tomorrow. $1.78 on the display, so it will be $1.74 with the discount. I also go into the store to buy some more soft drinks and two loafs of bread (Sour dough, would you believe, even at Geraldton) you never know what kind of bread I may get further inland, usually only the feather-fluff bread, no taste, no body, just air, all of it packed in a square plastic bag. YUK! I don't eat this sh..

My destination for the day is Mullewa, only about 100km from Geraldton, so it should be a nice and easy drive. About 10km out from Geraldton, lots of farm land, easy also to see, why they call this the "Wheatbelt". Rolling plains to the horizon, with rows of large trees planted in between, probably for wind breaks. Except for the enormous size of the fields it almost feels like I am driving through parts of Europe.

Looking across the "Wheat Belt" near Mullewa

The local Service Station at Mullewa also acts as 'Booking Office' for the Caravan Park, apart from being a General Store and Delicatessen Shop according to the sign out front. I book myself in for a couple of nights as I am very much in need of washing a lot of dirty clothes, using their facilities.

Mullewa as seen from the Lookout

The Tourist Info Office is closed until 12.45 so I drive up to the caravan park to pick out a spot and get my washing started. A good time of the day to do that before lots of others appear and hog the washing machines. A pleasant surprise, only $2.00 as against the usual $3.00 or even $4.00 I have encountered at some Parks. Good machines too, even allowing for a hot wash, not possible at any of the Parks I have been to so far. The Toilet and Showers all appear to be in excellent shape. I guess, I will recommend this place!

A carpet of pink near Pindar

Mullewa is well known for its abundance of spring flowers that bloom in the aerea this time of year, particularly when there have been spring rains like this year. One of the most unusual flowers are called "Wreath Flower" as they always grow in a circle, the blossoms always appearing at the outside rim of that circle. It does look like a wreath indeed.


To see them in their natural environment I have to drive out 20km to a place called Pindar, from there yet another 10km on dirt. Rough in places, but absolutely worth getting there.

Wreath Flowers near Pindar

What I still find surprising is, just how delicate most of the flower blossoms are, like a way of nature to counteract the harshness of this environment.

How delicate are these?

Many of the plants that grow here are quite rugged, very often bristely and spikey and I think most plant eating animals would find it very difficult to take a bite out of many of these.

No comments: