Tuesday 16 September 2008

The Tyranny of Distance

I have done a fair few kilometers so far, often thinking about the distances involved to get from A to B. Now, for all of you who look at this blog back in the "Old Countries", its probably worthwhile to put it all into some sort of perspective. Today I got a post card that shows just that, the size in square kilometres of the European countries and the map of Europe super-imposed on top of Australia. At the bottom left it says that Europe has a Total of 3,687,245 km2 against Australia with a Total of 7,686,848km2. Now that makes Australia more than twice the size of All-Of-Europe.

The distances quoted for Australia on that card tell the rest of the story, i.e.:

Darwin - Perth 4396km,
Perth - Adelaide 2706km,
Melbourne - Sydney 887km,
Sydney - Brisbane 972km and
Brisbane - Cairns 1748km


One would also do well to remember, that often between reasonably sized townships, there is very little, or perhaps I should say, a limited number of places where one could stay for any length of time. As a consequence, I often have to cover quite some distance to get to another sight to see, or accessible place that I can discover for myself (i.e: is there a road and can I drive on it with my van? Some of them are stricty 4-wheel-drive roads where my van would get me into trouble). I am saying this because some of you have expressed, that I should take more time. As a consequence, I have in fact stayed a lot longer at places that I particularly liked. I have also been busy with the camera, having taken so far, about 2500 pictures, a small selection of which I have shared with you via this blog, in a very small format, just to convey an idea of what I am seeing.

On October 22, I will return to Sydney by air, for several weeks, where I will setup some Photo Albums on the web, of my pictures taken up to my time at Perth. Once that has been done I will let you know in the blog, where you can find those images on the web so you can also experience those pictures in a large, screen-filling format, which will do a lot more justice to the various landscapes I have been traveling through. So, stay tuned.

In December I will return to Perth, where I will have left my van, to continue my journey around the southern parts of Australia. More about that in the continuing blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter, Suki and I now have travelled about 1900km with lots of detours and we are presently in Rockhampton,after having been for 2 days on Fraser Island,truly a spectacular place, very much in touch with nature! Now we press on for Winton /Longreach and further West. Then we may go to Alice and down to the Flinders Ranges. We'll see how time treats us, because we have visitors arriving from Germany at end October. Keep well, safe travel,
Cheers, Eckhard & Suki

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter,
I just read your latest report and saw the comparison between Europe and Australia. Some Aussie smart arses apparently want to be bigger than they really are.
Just for putting things right: Europe has an area of 10,5 Million sqare km, round about three million more than Australia. On the Europe map they left out just to name a few: Russia ( Europe stretches east till the Ural Mountains), Scandinavia, except for Denmark, the Baltic states, Belarus, Ukraine etc.
Just to put things right, tell these people that they should do better research.
I am frequently reading your report and like it very much, you do a phantastic job!
At our place everything is fine and we can't complain.
Keep on with the good job you are doing, all the very best

Heinz