Sunday 24 May 2009

Away from the rain, on to Carnarvon Gorge

The following morning at Roma starts with an overcast sky with the possibility of more rain. I leave about 8.30 driving north toward Carnarvon National Park and Carnarvon Gorge.

Grassland and cattle country all the way, the odd road kill of Wallabies, an Echidna I see in the distance cossing the highway atr a leisurely pace so I have to go all the way to the other side of the road to avoid it. The turn-off to the park is about 150kms north of Roma. The road to get to the park is sealed except for the last 20kms of graded gravel road. I can see the escarpment of sandstone on my way in.

Escarpment of Carnarvon Gorge

A great place with quite a well equipped caravan park. I book in for 2 nights. A great camp fire that night with one family cooking their evening meal in a cast iron camp oven. Good talk and a nice atmosphere by the fire on a rather cool night.

The following morning I do my hike through the gorge and some of the side canyons to discover what is there. The trail up the gorge follows the river which it criss-crossed many times on my way up.

One of the many river crossings in the gorge

Some cloud but good weather for a hike. The forest is full of birds as I hear bird song all around me at the bottom end of the gorge. Just beautiful to be here.

Ward's Canyon

Another one of the side canyons is called The Artgallery and contains Aboriginal Rock art from thousands of years ago.




It turns out to be quite a hike with about 15kms round-trip. Absolutely worth it though.

No comments: