Sunday 10 May 2009

On to Tamworth from Lake Liddell

When I get up in the morning its about 6.30. Its quite cold and across the campground, the lake, all shrouded in mist and fog. The sun is beginning to rise, so I see the golden shine like a halo of gold across the mist covered lake. Some black swans are gliding past, its very quiet, a peaceful scene to contemplate today's drive to Tamworth.




Misty mood in the morning

Its 8.00 am by the time I drive out, heading back to the New England Highway, where I turn north to continue my journey. The whole landscape covered in mist with visibility of around 100 metres. There is some traffic on this Saturday morning. When I drive through Muswellbrook a few minutes later the town is still half asleep. A bit further up the road, looking up I can see blue sky even though I am still surrounded by heavy mist and I need to turn on my wipers every so often to clear my windscreen.

The closer I get to the town of Scone, more and more horses can be seen through the mist in the paddocks by the road, I am nearing the Horse Capital of Australia. Many of the places along the way have stands of poplars along the road or along their driveways. Naturally, this time of year they are all turning yellow leaves, so as I approach I see this golden glow through the mist, warm and inviting.


I stop at Murrurundi for a coffee and a bit of a look around. A tidy town along a river, all clean and well looked after, a few small shops selling bric-a-brac for the traveller. A couple sitting at the table next to mine, tell me they have just come from Tamworth where they had no fog this morning, only bright sunshine all the way to here.

Street scene at Murrurundi on a misty morning

When I cross the Dividing Range after Murrurundi, as expected, there is no more fog as I drive toward Tamworth, my planned stay for the night. The town lies in a large wide valley, surrounded by hills that extend to the horizon. When I arrive at Alison's house the sun is up high, about 11.30 by now, so we go sit on their back porch to catch up on the latest news from both sides. Pat, Alison's husband is doing a course, so is not expected to return home until later in the day. As it turns out, he calls to say they are having an early mark today and he will be home shortly. Good to see him again too. Alison gives me the tour around town, taking me to the lookout which gives a great view of this town of about 25000. We have a coffee and hot chocolate respectively, buy some more beer to restock my fridge before heading home again.

Its real good to be with old friends again, sharing a meal, exchanging gossip and have a few laughs along the way.

No comments: