Sunday 1 November 2009

Bundaberg and surrounds

The drive south from 1770 goes along a back road, mostly through scrub country and grassland with grazing cattle from time to time. I am thinking about the town of Bundaberg with its distilleries, well known around the country for its locally produced Rum, usually referred to as "Bundy".

Sunset on the Bundaberg Coast

So I keep looking for sugar cane fields but am surprised that the first signs of that crop are actually only coming into view some 15km north of the town. Once I am in the flat country around Bundaberg, I am surrounded by fields of cane, all of them with new growth for the next harvest.
[more on Bundaberg]
I arrive at Burnett Heads to the north of the city, after a brief misdirection from my GPS, taking me to the river without a bridge, only a ferry operated by the sugar mill in evidence which does not cater to the general public. I had to backtrack, cross the river and then finally get to Burnett Heads close to the water yet again.

The nights are nice and cool so I am getting a good sleep on a very quiet campground. I have also cooked a VERY HOT Lamb Curry that has turned into a real ring burner, but lots of cucumber Raita make it all bearable. Tomorrow I will pickup my mail, then on to Hervey Bay and a planned visit to Fraser Island.
[more about Fraser Island]

No comments: