Thursday 26 November 2009

Port Stephens Area

As I travel further south the sky is turning into ever darker shades of grey with a very low cloud base.  The highway is wet, my rear window getting dirtier by the minute due to the airflow vortex at the back of my vehicle.  When I turn toward the coast again the rain eases and finally stops while I check out a number of possible campgrounds, finally stopping at Soldiers Point for the night.  Soon the rain sets in again while I cook a hot Lamb Curry and solve a few Sudoku Puzzles, an actiity I have recently been introduced to, one that I really love, having become 'addicted' in a way...

The following morning there is still a drizzle, so I look for a possible alternative location on my maps, decide to retrace my steps and to drive around the bay of Port Stephens.  To get there I need to drive right around the bay, a distance according to my GPS, about 85km.  When I get back to the highway, driving north again, the rain increases but as I turn toward the coast again, skies start to clear, bits of blue sky that increase in size the closer I get to 'Hawks Nest'.  I take this as a good omen, check into the caravan park by the beach and 'erect' my home-on-wheels.


Rain clouds threatening Hawks Nest


Great surf, heavy clouds on the other side of the Bay.



Wind-swept white sand dunes at Hawks Nest

Hawks Nest has beautiful beaches with white sand on one side and a lake on the opposite side.  Very nice, I must say, with a great surf running, very popular with many people on surfboards out on the water.

No comments: