Tuesday 17 June 2008

Hervey Bay to Gladstone

Last night Werner and his wife Carol invited me (how nice of them) to join them for dinner in their Caravan. I shared a bottle of "Red" with Werner, as we had been drinking his home-brew beer which was not bad at all. I don't think either of us was feeling a lot of pain by the time I hit the sack.

Left Hervey Bay around 10.30 this morning after picking up a couple of things from Aldi. The drive was uneventful, not much to see hardly any traffic, well spaced out vehicles, often Trailers in tow. Some of the signs are outrageously funny, like the one below.

"Don't Sleep AND drive" - indeed!

The landscape mostly stands of eucalypts but also closer to Hervey Bay grasslands in shades of pink with wide open spaces to view into the distance.


Closer to Gladstone a mountain range inland. It’s a bit warmer here then at my last stop but a hazy blue sky after the bright blue of the previous 2 days looking out over the waters to Fraser Island on the horizon.

Gladstone looks like it has grown since my last visit back in 1989. I don't intend to explore as I want to move on further north tomorrow instead.
The town itself is an industrial town, providing employment with giant Aluminium smelters, as there are large Bauxite deposits in this area.

No comments: