Wednesday 18 June 2008

From Clairview to Airlie Beach

I left Clairview around 9am and was rewarded with virtually no traffic either way, except coming closer to Mackay. Found a Shell station that charged $1.73 / l Diesel all the rest were $1.79. The further north I am heading the more tropical things are beginning to look.


Sugar cane as far as the eye can see

All the way up the dominating crop by the roadside is sugar cane, only every so often I came across a few paddocks with Brahman cattle, also the odd horse or two.
Many times the roadway is crossed by narrow-gauge rail lines for the transport of the sugar cane at harvest. There must be many miles of these tracks leading to the cane fields from the sugar refineries.
Cloudcover has been about 5-6/8 most of the way, even a drop of rain seemed possible - but not a drop.
I also notice the humidity in the air has gone up, so without a breeze it gets to be quite sticky while I sit here typing out my blog. There were also far less dead kangaroos by the side of the road today, which came as a pleasant surprise. They usually come out in the early mornings and late afternoons, sure enough some get hit by trucks, providing food for the eagles and crows that are quick to get stuck in a free meal, one that should last for a few days too.

Overlooking Airlie Harbour


There is now an artificial lagoon adjacent to the harbour, much frequented by visitors


I am staying at a caravan park, halfway between Airlie Beach and Shute Harbour, set back in some lush greenery, the only noise at the moment are light single engine aircraft taking off on the next property. I am told they stop at 5.00 pm and so look forward to a quiet and peaceful night.

Clairview was a lovely location by the sea except a trainline with goods trains is running part of the night and parallel to the rail line the main highway with traffic into the early hours of the morning - sleep was a bit haphazard.

I am looking forward to spend a couple of days here and hope to take a trip out to the reef. (Prices have definetely gone through the roof since my last visit, now costing about $190.00 per person. I am not sure whats included but intend to investigate further a little later.

Just booked myself in for a day's sailing on the "Ragamuffin" a 24 m racing yacht. I hope the weather will be kind and I look forward to a great day, starting at 8.30 in the morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi mate,
good to read your memoires of impressions along the way. Airlie looks good! Also, as you can see, our net is again operational, so is the telephone. Marvellous stuff. I'll fill you in on happenings at this end. Cheers,
Eckhard, also love from Suki + Leah