Friday 27 June 2008

Normanton to Cloncurry

I got away from Normanton rather late this morning at about 10.30, heading south towards yet another old mining town, Cloncurry which also happens to be the birth place of the Royal Flying Doctor Service, still operating to this day.

The one thing different driving today was, that I was heading South all day, meaning, always with the sun at my back. Not a lot of traffic but still lots of road kill, including another calf. The local eagles are truly well-fed, as they do all the cleaning-up.

Wide open spaces

Gradually the scenery changes as I get further south, now also a lot of spinnifex growing in some places, sometimes just bleached dry white grass stretching all the way to the horizon. This really shows the vastness of this country! In many places lots of saltbush making a living in the dry conditions. In many places I see road signs warning of "Flood Area" and although hard to imagine in those dry conditions today, there are times when thousands of square kilometres at a time are literally under water, the roads all but impassable. I can only hope that none of this grass will catch fire.

I stopped about half way down at Burke & Wills Roadhouse for a short break and an icecream.

The current price of fuel at Burke & Wills Roadhouse



Two girls serving the counter, both holiday workers, both attractive, one with a broad Scots accent, told me she was from Aberdeen, the other, blond and tall was from Magdeburg in Germany. Both trying to make a little extra money to help pay for their holiday.

Every 45km, or so, Telstra has setup tall Transmitter/Repeaters for the Rural Telephone Services. As there is no visible power supply I assume they are all powered by Solar Power.


I arrived in Cloncurry about 3.00pm, filled up with Diesel and found a nice campsite to spend the night. It is a nice spot but also right on the Highway with still lots of road-trains going past, (now 7.00pm) I hope they won't be going all night. I am glad its cooling down a bit so it should be a pleasant night.

No comments: