Thursday 12 June 2008

Sydney to Brunswick Heads


Ok, the temperatures are rising, the skies are predominantly blue at Brunswick Heads and, well, I better start at the beginning...

Quite a bit of traffic from Sydney to Forster last Tuesday. Although it started out dry I began to experience a bit of rain, on and off, but mostly on, even though the skies ahead looked mostly blue. It wasn't until the turn-off to Forster that I had finally run ahead of those rain clouds which had been following me out of Sydney. When I arrived at Forster, the sun was out, everything looking so much brighter, also a bit warmer too.

I did wake up during the night feeling rather cool, pulled out my second doona, back to sleep warm as toast. It did get rather fresh though and the following morning was glad to be on a powered site so I could turn on my electric heater for a little while.

On Wednesday morning I left Forster for Coffs Harbour which was an uneventful drive, except I noticed one Holden pulling a caravan, rather a large one too. The car had no extension mirrors and I am sure he would not have a clue as to what was happening behind him. Pretty dangerous I think - what is he going to do if he needs to change lanes?? An accident waiting to happen. I drove through parts of Coffs to refresh my memory, as I had last been there together with Britta, Thomas and Philip. The Caravan Park I found there turned out to be a bit expensive an so decided to keep going a little further to Woolgoolga, a town with a large Indian population. Needless to say, I ate "Indian" there last night. Hot too!!

Today, I left Woolgoolga around 9.30 am, general direction "Byron Bay" although I had no intention to actually stay there.

North of Grafton the lay of the land is flat country, driving close to waterways most of the time. Driving into the sun was no problem as the sun stood very high in the early hours of the morning. It did create a particular light that I thought I should record taking a picture through my windscreen.

Around 12.30 I decided to pull off the highway and discovered Ballina, went to my Bank ATM to top-up my finances. I came away very impressed, a modern small town, great facilities and most of all, friendly and helpful people walk the street, sit in roadside Cafes. Very colourful and clean.


From Balina I drove to Bangalow, a quaint small town with lots of Galleries, art shops and great eateries. I treated myself to what turned out a giant lunch. Excellent. My final stop for today is Brunswick Heads where I rented a space right on the river. Quiet. Just right as I finally took off the woolens, now running around in T-shirt only!! Hey, this is the life!

No comments: