Friday 4 July 2008

Around Katherine

A bit of a rest was exactly what I wanted and needed. Australia is such a large country, so the further west I go, townships of significance are far and wide, only ever road houses where I can stop in the shade (with a bit of luck), treat myself to an icecream and then go on for the next lap. The campground I found at Katherine was really nice, with lots of green grass, me bang in the middle of it. They also offered fresh Burramundi with chips, me not known for eating a lot of seafood, have to confess I ordered it 2 days in a row because it was excellent! This was the first time I had burramundi where the fish had not been frozen and there IS a great difference.

Another interesting point for Katherine is, that it also has hot springs - and only a few blocks from my campsite. Naturally I went and had a look - in hindsight, I should have brought my swimmers. Anyway, the water looked crystal clear, not hot but nice and warm. A few oldies were hanging about in the upper end, but further down the stream, lots of local kids were having a great time below a small waterfall.


Can't leave Katherine without taking in some of the gorges, so yesterday I had booked myself in for the breakfast -run. This meant that I had to move from my campsite at 6.00 this morning, so I could be at Katherine Gorge before 7.00 as the cruise started at 7.00.

Not quite full daylight yet

Well, it was absulutely super-duper, the early morning colours, the water, the walls of multicoloured sandstone. Obviously, the shutter on my camera was in full swing. I took more than 200 pictures, which tells you, that I was IMPRESSED. The breakfast was also excellent, Bacon, sausages and eggs and tomatoes, together with fresh croissants.



Some of the many images I brought back from the Gorge

I had to pick up a few bits at Woolworths, fill up my tank again and left Katherine after 10, heading for Jabiru in Kakadu National Park.
Similar to what I observed at Tennant Creek, there seem to be an abundance of Aborigines hanging about town at Katherine, mostly young men and women of all ages, sitting on footpaths in the shade, all of them looking bored with themselves and life in general. As a real positive contrast, the young Aboriginal who ran today's tour on the gorge, was not only good natured and polite. Also he knew who he was, where he fitted into the picture and very definetely was not bored. He also knew exactly what he was talking about.

Pine Creek, the next town on my way, then turn off onto the Kakadu Highway (what else would you call it?) passing Mary River Roadhouse, then Gangural and finally, at around 2.30pm I arrive at Jabiru to somewhat higher temparatures, also higher humidity, but there is a breeze and so ok. Now, at around 7.30pm, it has cooled off from the 32 this afternoon, but its still quite warm. I'm going to sit outside for a bit before I go call it a day.

1 comment:

Frank said...

Hi Pilli, na das macht doch Lust auf mehr. Scheint Dir ja wirklich Spaß zu machen. Schreib mal fleissig weiter. Dann machen der Bogart und ich sicher wieder mal ne Tour :-)
Viele Grüße aus Neuss,
Frank