Sunday 13 July 2008

Katherine to Timber Creek

Well, the planned flights did not happen after all. Ihang around, getting everything ready, filling my in-vehicle-water tank. This is the first time I am adding water, surprisingly it does take quite a bit of time to re-fill. Then I drive down to the camping shop and get for myself a toaster, which is just a metal frame with fine wire mesh at the bottom, once placed over a gas flame it will glow red and toast the slice put at the top, easy peasy. I pick up another container of 10 litres of drinking water at Woollies and because I see it, also pick up 2 packets of German Rye bread (Vollkornbrot) as I refuse to eat all that white stuff that is on the shelves, (nothing but air, wrapped in plastic) then hit the road.

It is Savannah country all the way with a variety of trees growing right through it, mostly Silvergums and some Redgums. The view does change a bit, lots to look at, but gets much more interesting about 40km out of Victoria River, where an escarpement rises, mostly red-coloured rocks.

Just outside Victoria River looking at the escarpment.

Driving out of Victoria River, I round the escarpement, drive past truck-size rocks that must have come down off the mountain range and serving as a reminder that there is a distinct possibility, it can happen again anytime. The road follows the Victoria River on its right, the mountains rising on my left as I keep going west.

Halfway between Victoria River and Timber Creek some cattle musteriing is going on and I watch as the cattle are being chased by the Helicopter. Flying cowboys. A few minutes later, a lizzard takes its time to leisurely cross the highway about 100 metres ahead, shifts into high gear as it hears my car and disappears in the tall grass on my right.

As I get closer to Timber Creek, the mountain range on my left runs out, flat country now, but shortly after hills are beginning to rise on my right and in the distance some more, a little higher. I note that the grass on the hills going halfway up seems to be distinctly green rather than the usual, sunbleached white. There has to be moisture in the ground otherwise it would have a different colour.

I pull into Timber Creek, top up fuel at $2.25. In Katherine it was $1.90. The place I want to camp at tonight is only about 9km ahead. I pull in there, find a nice shady spot and sit down to write my stuff for today.

This campground is surrounded by Boab trees of all shades and sizes. Am going for a walk to take a few shots at the Boabs as these are the first I have ever seen in 'real life'. Quite an interesting looking plant. At this time of year they have no leaves but many of them bear fruit, about the size of a Mango, a hairy looking shell on the outside and judging from the broken ones lying around under the tree, seem to contain a white, powdery kind of flesh.

Boabs at the camp ground

Just as I want to relax after today's drive I find out that there will be a river cruise leaving in about 15 minutes, so I decide to tag along, get some warm gear to take along and pack my camera. It turns out to be quite interesting. The boat is packed except for one vacant seat. We go downstream, the guy at the helm kicks open the throttle, two powerful outboards propel us along at quite a clip.


View along the River

There are no other boats on the river as we go downstream, occasionally we pull to one side to have a look at the smaller Freshwater Crocodiles or the much larger Saltwater Crocs which seem to either bask in the sun, on the mudbanks of the river or just float close to the shore with only their eyes showing above water.

A 'Salty' in the mud

Some we notice, are just lying still and motionless near the shore, waiting for the Wallabies on the shore to come closer and get a drink from the river. One of the Wallabies does and quick as lightning its life is ended as the croc drags it under water.

Its still warm out on the river, our guide pulls over to the river bank, brings a bag of meat that he opens and puts the contents out on the shore to the great delight of some hawks and one sea eagle. As the sun is beginning to set we need to turn around and go back up-river.

Colours from the setting sun on Victoria River

Nice soft colours start to develop on and around the water, so I take a few more shots to take away with me. We are back at out jetty well after dark. The day is beginning to cool off and as it was quite windy on that high-speed boat, I have already put on my sweater and a jacket and I am not feeling cold. Always good to remember, that in these parts night temperatures can drop severely from the high 20s to 5 degrees at night or even less.

No comments: