Sunday 13 July 2008

Timber Creek to Kununarra via Lake Argyle

I did get away early this morning. It was also quite fresh this morning, so I could only face the world with my woollen Jiffy and a jacket to keep out the chill. Right on-queue, the sun rose into a blue sky and helped to warm the morning chill. That hot cup of coffee helped tremendously as well.


I leave about 8.15, heading further west, the sun behind me lighting up the scenery coming towards me as I ride along. Little change in scenery at first, except, that today I see many Boabs, usually in lots of several at a time, the lone one, on its own is rare. Gradually, the scrub recedes, my view extends and I am beginning to get a view of another rocky escarpment on my right in the distance, all of it lit-up brightly by the morning sun, reds and ochres softened by the morning light.

Heading towards Western Australia

This day is beginning to look and feel better by the minute. The hills and rocks seem to rise higher and higher the closer I get to the border of WA (Western Australia).

When I arrive at the border my van is checked for any fruit and vegetables I have. I hand in a small bag of potatoes, two onions and one lonely tomato from my fridge. The lady who does the checking also gives me a new box to replace the one I had on the floor, as that one used to contain fruit. All this checking is done to keep out potential diseases that are not present in WA.

A few kilometres after the check point I see the sign: "Lake Argyle", so I turn left to run down the 34km to the lake.

Side road to Lake Argyle

It has been on my plan of-places-to-see. The scenery gets more beautiful and dramatic the further I travel down this road. That there will be a lake at the end of this road is going to set the jewel in the crown. I am not disappointed. The word 'grandiose' does not do justice to the spectacular sights!!



Some views across the lake and the Dam

Should any of you ever get into this part of Australia, a definite "MUST SEE". As I am fairly early in the day, there are only a half dozen Japanese tourists who didn't seem to be too interested to communicate, but that may also be due to their lack of English.



I am spending about 2 hours there before more tourists are rocking in with their caravans and 4-wheel drives, so I head back out and continue on to Kununarra. I have to re-stock a few items from Coles which has a very good and comprehensive selection of products, also, the spuds and onions confiscated at the border need to be replaced. My campground is at the edge of a wetland and there is a lovely breeze coming from there, keeping me cool.

Tomorrow I will have a closer look at the sights at Kununarra.

1 comment:

Alden Smith said...

Your trip and photos give a lot of food for thought - My first love is sailing but I would really like to do a motobike ride around Australia.

Cheers