Thursday 17 July 2008

Fitzroy to Derby

It does have advantages when I get my bum out of bed early while the day is still cool, naturally, arriving early at the destination improves likelyhood of good camping spot.

Anyway, here is a question for you: Why is it an advantage to transport any beer or soft drink cans standing on their head? No, not bullshit, it’s a real question and there is a definite reason. I will tell you at the end somewhere….

The drive this morning from Fitzroy Crossing to Derby was much like the previous days, except that the way the road was layed out, was quite different. Most of the roads so far in WA were full of gentle long curves meandering their way through the Australian landscape. This was particularly noticable, coming out of Halls Creek. This morning's drive was very different, long straight stretches, then eventually, a slight turn, then another long straight stretch and so on, all the way to Derby. Maybe it was constructed by a different road engineer who preferred straight roads, or maybe the beancounters back at the office won the case, i.e.: "..a straight line is the shortest way between 2 points…" (we need to save money)

Those straight roads are a lot less interesting to look at though, the only visual 'events' being the occasional stand of Boabs, which do stand out quite strongly from the remaining vegetation of the Australian Savannah & Brush landscape. The closer I get to Derby, the larger some of these Boabs are becoming, some of them absolutely gigantic. The only other visual was the crossing of the Erskine Range, about half way to Derby. Everything else, just flat country.


Also, lots of Termite Mounds, some really bizarre looking creations - there are literally thousands of them to the horizon.

Sure does look funny, like a giant mama with lots of tits... (pardon the pun)

Oh, about the tinnies, I have initially been told this story by Jim and Sally, real hard-core offroaders, who did the Canning Stock Route several years ago. Its total off-road over a distance in excess of 1700km, connecting Willuna and Halls Creek, where for many years in the past, thousands of cattle have been herded to market. There are many many water bores on the way, each of them has been allocated a number, so one knows the exact location of each bore…, anyway, I digress. When you put your beer cans into your storage container, the usual way up, dust gets into the box while you are travelling on dirt and the dust having so much grit it acts as sandpaper, with all the shoving and jolting, with constant vibrations which rubs through the bottom of the aluminium cans and the beer comes out. What a shame on a hot dry day when you find some beer cans floating in their own juice!! If you turn the cans over, there is a re-inforced Aluminium ring at the top which is much more sturdy than the bottom of the can, which has the desired effect. (Keep that beer) While I have no reason to doubt Jim and Sally, someone else at another campground confirmed this, as he lost some beer the same way.

Since I started early this morning I am arriving at Derby about 10.30 am. Although, less than 300km from Fitzroy, I am now on the coast, humidity noticably higher and the sensation of heat more pronounced. They are a friendly bunch at the info centre, passed on a load of brochures and some advice about where and what. I am going to stay in the shade though for the moment and decide later what I will look at.

Took a drive on my bike down to the jetty. No, its not somewhere IN town. Derby is surrounded by mud flats going out to the horizon. This means that a jetty had to be built way out there where ships could anchor in deep water. Its about 1.5km from shore, had a look around, found lots of fishing guys with lines in the murky water - none of them had caught anything while I was there. They tell me, this kind of sport takes lots of patience. I would say, the word luck would also be applicable.

A look out to sea from the Jetty at Derby

In Derby, many of the streets have a line of large Boabs planted along the centre of the street, also about 50 metres from my campsite are two large trees as well, one of them must be very old indeed.

An old Boab at my campground


This is a close-up of the tree bark, looking at it you would swear its cement, but no, just tree bark of a very old tree.

I'm sure, you can tell that this bloody tree does fascinate me, mostly because its so different to most other trees. I understand that you can also eat its roots, either as an addition to salad or cooked. I haven't tried yet, but when I do, I'll let you know.

By the way, that campground at Jabiru I went to in Kakadu National Park, remember, the lot that refused to sign my rental form (management directive) well, here is a short update:

This was a reply I received from them to my query:

From: gmklodge [mailto:gmklodge@kl.auroraresorts.com.au]
Sent: Tuesday, 8 July 2008 10:42
To: peter.pilhofer@iinet.net.au
Cc: General Manager AK
Subject: Centre link


Dear Mr Pilhofer,



Thank you for your email and comments.



We have again today called Centre link, Rennee’, and have been advised the same. They have advised, as we are unable to confirm that the Caravan is your permanent place of abode, we are best not to sign.

We have also asked for that information to be given to us in writing. As you will understand we are only doing as we have been instructed by Centre link, and that the form is a legal document.

Regards

Kaye Duncan



Andrew & Kaye Duncan,

General Managers, Kakadu Lodge & Caravan Park

AURORA Hotels - Resorts - Attractions

in association with Travelodge Mirambeena Resort, Darwin.

e gmklodge@auroraresorts.com.au t +61 8 8979 2422 f +61 8 8979 2254

w www.auroraresorts.com.au



to which I replied as follows:

Dear Mrs. Duncan,

thank you for your informative reply. As the information given sounds very starnge to me, I have gone to Centrelink myself to investigate. What I got was a shake of heads, incredulous looks and the remark: "... Centrelink will never give such advise.." as stated by you in your email. The reason obviously being, that its Centrelink who decides, who is entitled to receive that subsidy, not any of the organisations providing accommodation (in this case a campsite at Kakadu Lodge). Your signature merely indicates that I was there and that I paid the stated amount (in this case $22.00), then the ball is back at Centrelink's court - let them decide.

What you are stating sounds actually a lot more like "passing the buck" (its Centrelink's fault) to me and as far as I am concerned, adds insult to injury. Please also note, that the "Grey Nomads" are a pretty close-knit group of people. Information does get exchanged on a daily basis, in the course of which, often places-to-stay are actively recommended, others are not. I am quite sure that you draw your conclusions from that. I am also not telling you how you should run your business, but please don't try to tell me a truly unbelievable story, as this will not help you to grow your business.

Having said that, I would like to remind you that I am still waiting for a Receipt/Tax Invoice for my records, that I asked for in my initial email to your organisation, a request, you seem to have chosen to ignore. Please have it emailed to my email account.

kind regards

Peter Pilhofer


The long and the short of the story is, they never bothered to comment, said they were unable to email and would I provide mailing address so they could post the receipt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter,
you are an absolutely literay master, the descriptions of your impressions want me to be there as well. Suki and I are travelling to Corlette (lake Macquarie) to our friends house for a couple of days, then we get into Leah's packing up and we'll be away. The pics from Lake Argyle and NT are beautiful and I'm so glad you are enjoying the magnificent coutry, as much as we did-and will do again. Keep it up!! Cheers Eckhard